Saturday, January 14, 2012

Redesign an Old Bookshelf


I've had this ugly book shelf since college was just sick of it but didn't want to spend the money on a new book shelf. So I made it better, much better! 
This post is PERFECT if you have a cheap old ply-wood type book shelf driving you nuts. Or if you just want to begin 2012 with style!

I think it would also be fun to mod podge scrapbook paper or fabric to the back rather than painting a solid color. I even proposed to my husband using a cheap comic book for the back and he thought it was a little too childish for his office.  Just some alternative options to this post. I would recommend using mod podge to attach the paper and then spraying the back with an acrylic sealant.

This bookshelf is really cheap and so the technique used in this post will NOT be best for a nice, real wood book shelf. For that technique sit tight because I intend to stain my old record player table and will post once done; I will probably start that in a week or two. That will require stain and sand paper. 

This is a quick and easy fix to any CHEAP furniture. Total Cost: Under $20. Total Time: Active time: 30 minutes; Inactive Time: 60 minutes (waiting for paint to dry)

Materials:
  • A Piece of Furniture - FREE!
  • Gripper Paint - any color (I use grey). Around $5 at Home Depot
  • Spray Paint of Choice - I used teal and black. Each was $4 at Home Depot
  • Paint Brush or Foam Brush - Under $1 at Home Depot or Micheals
  • Material that can get paint on it - I favor old, broken down boxes because the paint won't stick to it (like newspaper will)



Directions:
The first step is to generously paint the intended paint surface with gripper paint. The importance of this step to to literally grip the paint to your surface. It replaces the need for sanding, Yay gripper!! Remember to paint the edges and the shelves. Allow to dry thoroughly - drying directions will be on the paint container.
Helpful Tip: While I favor foam brushes for convenience sake, don't do it! I would greatly recommend using a paint brush to apply the gripper because it will take less time and work.



 

 Lay the book shelf down and paint the back. Because my second color was darker, I didn't see the need to line the sides with paper to protect them. This resulted in getting teal paint on the sides that were easily covered by the black paint later. Allow the paint to thoroughly dry.






Line the interior with newspaper and using masking tape, be sure to secure the edges of the paper. I was a slacker on this step and had to repaint the teal which was an avoidable pain. Don't make my mistake and save some time. Paint the outside being and the shelves your desired color.
Let dry thoroughly and ENJOY!


Now you may be thinking "Gee Sarah, weren't there two shelves when you started this project" and that's very observant because there are. My wonderful terror of a dog mistook my shelf holder things as his toys and there are three lost in my back yard (or maybe his belly). I need to make an Ikea trip to replace them. Oh Titan. That's what I get for doing work in his yard I guess hahaha.
Titan is the GIANT monster husky/shepherd mix in the wagon. Daisy is the other dog; she is my neighbors dog. She is actually a really sweet (and patient) dog.


Bearcake Creations is a great blog if you are interested in fine foods, creative DIY projects, and photography tutorials. Explore the site using the labels on the right. Be sure to leave a comment or "follow" and you will absolutely brighten my day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment