Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chalkboard Napkin Rings

Make your own handmade napkin rings that are cheap and perfect for entertaining! I just love these for parties, holiday events, or as a gift for a loved one. I bought my napkin rings in set of two from a local dollar store here in Phoenix. They came in a set of two making this project extremely cheap. To save even more money, simply use old napkin rings you don't like the pattern on.
Because I had the paint and gripper, this project only cost me THREE DOLLARS! I think everyone should have chalkboard paint and gripper - so you're making a good investment! Plus, I intend to make many more projects using these two types of paint. Just keep following my blog for a ton more uses. I bought grey gripper and use it for EVERYTHING! Remember they Modern Art tutorial in DIY Art Projects? Yep, grey gripper paint!

Bearcake Creations is a great blog if you are interested in fine foods, creative DIY projects, and photography tutorials. Explore the site using the labels on the right. Be sure to leave a comment or "follow" and you will absolutely brighten my day!!!

Materials:
  • Dollar Store Napkin Rings - At Dollar Tree - set of two for $1
  • Chalkboard Paint -At Home Depot as a spray paint for around $5.
  • Gripper Paint - At Home Depot for around $5
  • Foam Brush or Paint Brush - Either will cost about $1; but who doesn't have one laying around.



Directions:
Using a foam brush, apply the gripper to your napkin rings. Once this dries, apply another coat. As I learned the hard way, be generous with gripper. The container will have drying tips for both a first and second coat, follow their directions. Allow your second coat of gripper has dry.
Fun Fact: Gripper paint is just a primer that will ensure your chalkboard paint sticks. Otherwise, when you try to write on these, the paint will just wipe off. 

I use spray paint chalkboard paint. I like to paint on an old box I happen to have in our house. Place your items where you are painting and spray. I let them dry and flipped them over and sprayed the other side as well. This ensured that the edges were evenly painted. This spray paint dries really quickly too! 

That's all! Enjoy your beautiful new napkin rings! I told you - SUPER EASY!!!


Don't feel like making your own? I get it! That's why you can buy these in my etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89698923/chalkboard-napkin-rings-set-of-six 

No comments:

Post a Comment