Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Flower Crayon Art


Handmade Crayon Art is too easy to make!  And with a little practice it becomes a LOT better. I saw the idea of creating art - rather than just melting crayons on canvas. This is my second attempt. I simply melted the crayons - I used green, yellow, and brown - and turned the canvas upside down creating a planter look. I used handmade paper flowers. This project is so versatile. You can paint the canvas, use any crayon colors, and any flower colors or patterns! I greatly enjoyed this project!

Bearcake Creations is a great blog if you are interested in fine foods, creative DIY projects, and photography tutorials. Explore the site using the labels on the right. Be sure to leave a comment or "follow" and you will absolutely brighten my day!!!

Materials:
  • A ton of crayons - I used 25 - $5 At Walmart
  • Canvas - Mine is 16x20 - Around $6
  • Tacky Glue - or any glue that dries clear - $2
  • Paper Flowers - see Paper Flower tutorial under DIY Projects in this blog
  • Hairdryer or Embossing Gun - FREE!! - We know you must have one
Directions:    
Glue the desired colors to the bottom of your canvas. Let completely dry; I waited about 30-45 minutes. Once the glue has dried, get your hair dryer prepped. When I began, I had the canvas straight up. However, I found that if you put it at a 45 degree angle, it produces the best results. Fanning evenly back and forth it should take about 5-6 minutes before the crayon will start to melt. Once you have them melting nicely, you can guide whichever lines down father which will create the stems for your flowers. Let this completely dry before attaching the flowers. I used mod podge to attach my flowers but I imagine tacky glue would work as well. 
That's it! It's so simple and fun to make these. I also think this project would be fun to do with your kids or while babysitting!
Helpful Tips:
A small mouthed hair dryer works best. 
Evenly fan back and forth.  

If you are lost or need further help just see my Heart Crayon Art Tutorial under DIY Art Projects. It was the first crayon art I made and the tutorial is very thorough.  

Don't feel like making your own? I get it! That's why you can buy these in my etsy store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sarahweston2010 

1 comment:

  1. I love this, thank you for sharing! I have seen so many crayon arts that make the rainbow, but I have never seen people make it into something like you made flowers. Beautiful!

    http://flyingfarandfree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete