Saturday, January 14, 2012

Coffee Filter Wreath

Make your own beautiful wreath! It is simple to create and looks elegant in any home. Mine is hanging over the fireplace; it would also look nice on a kitchen pantry door or anywhere.

For this wreath I used tan coffee filters, which can be found in any grocery store, but you can also use white coffee filters for a different look!

I have been complimented a TON on this wreath and I think it's because this wreath is so versatile for any home. 

It was a great, quick paced project I did just sitting and watching TV with my husband.




Materials:
  • 1 Pack tan or white coffee filters - About $1 at the grocery store
  • 1 Straw Wreath or Styrofoam wreath - $4 at Hobby Lobby
  • Chocolate Ribbon - $10 at Hobby Lobby but you can buy MUCH cheaper ribbon for around $1-3. 
  • Sewing Pins or Straight Pins - $4 at Hobby Lobby for about 750. Just check the sewing section for pins and buy the best deal.
Helpful Tips Before You Start:
Re-purpose a spray bottle lid as a thimble
1. I bought a straw wreath because it happened to be cheaper than the Styrofoam but either will work great for this purpose. Remember, if using the straw wreath, DO NOT UNWRAP IT! I've heard of this happening and it will just create a HUGE mess! Just leave it in the plastic to begin.
2. If you don't have straight pins or just plain don't want to buy them, don't. The pins can be replaced by gluing with a hot glue gun or even mod podge. I used straight pins to ensure the filters do not fall off.
3. If you choose to use pins, your fingers will quickly hate you. Thanks to the craftiness of my husband I used a spray bottle lid as a thimble since I don't own a real thimble. This is in the background (circled in red) in the image to the left.

Directions:
Attach to the wreath with pin
Crinkle in the middle
Begin by taking one coffee filter and crinkle the center. It doesn't matter how you choose to fold the middle - you can't mess this up. Once you crumble the middle and are happy with the shape of this filter attach it to the straw wreath using a straight pin.
 

 Just begin added them and before long you will be almost done! I was going slowly while relaxing and the whole wreath probably took 45 minutes.

Attach the bow
 Using your ribbon of choice, tie a bow and attach to your incredible, new wreath. I used a long nail to attach my bow because I didn't want to smush the coffee filters and this was the only thing in my house long enough that would work. I did this by strategically placing the nail through a back layer of the bow so it cannot be seen when looking at the wreath. Then I fluffed the filters near the bow and adjusted them as necessary. 
Attach the top ribbon


Cut ribbon for the top and simply attach it to the wreath using straight pins. I attached quite a bit of pins to ensure that the ribbon is secure.  

You are done!  Enjoy your new and wonderful wreath! 


  


Don't feel like making this yourself? I get it! That's why I made this one for you! Buy it and anything else in the blog (minus the food sadly) in my etsy shop!
Check out my etsy shop: 
http://www.etsy.com/listing/89949314/20-inch-tan-wreath-with-chocolate-brown


Bearcake Creations is a great blog if you are interested in fine foods, creative DIY projects, and photography tutorials. Explore the site using the labels on the right. Be sure to leave a comment or "follow" and you will absolutely brighten my day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment