Sunday, January 22, 2012

Button Tree Art

This wonderful piece of art was so simple to make. Now, I took a lot of shortcuts to make it but there are other ways to create similar looking replicas. I cheated using a Cricut Paper Cutter and black paper.
Bearcake Creations is a great blog if you are interested in fine foods, creative DIY projects, and photography tutorials. Explore the site using the labels on the right. Be sure to leave a comment or "follow" and you will absolutely brighten my day!!!
Materials:
  • Black Construction Paper
  • Buttons (I used 40 various cream and white buttons)
  • Grey Paint - of course I used by beloved gripper paint because that's what I had laying around
  • Super Glue - Sure you could use a hot glue gun - but it's just more SUPER!
  • Canvas - Mine is 11x14 inches

Directions:
Paint your canvas the color you prefer for the background. I used grey but I imagine a light blue would be lovely. Next time, I may even try pink and white sponge work done to resemble a sun set. Let paint dry and apply extra coats as needed.
I used my wonderful and FABULOUS cricut paper cutter and vinyl to create the base for the tree. Alternatively, you could us black paper and a stencil or even just paint it if you are so inclined. Using mod podge or any adhesive, attach the tree to the DRY canvas.
  


Arrange your buttons as you would like. I used various ivory and white buttons that are each unique - wonderfully, these are what I happen to have at home. At first I used mod podge (as seen in the image) but quickly switched to super glue for a better stick.



My amazing stepmom gave me a ton of buttons a while back but if you don't have any, they are great to buy on eBay, online discount craft stores or even Etsy.

And that's it. Let the button glue dry well before you display.




Don't feel like making this yourself? I get it! That's why I made this one for you! Buy it and anything else in the blog (minus the food sadly) in my etsy shop!
Check out my etsy shop: 
http://www.etsy.com/listing/91149908/elegant-grey-and-black-button-tree

No comments:

Post a Comment